Friday, July 20, 2018

Blackstack Brewing

As I mentioned previously, I'm going to work on detailing (and rating) bike parking options at St. Paul breweries. Some are awesome (I'm looking at you, Dual Citizen and Urban Growler) and some well, suck. For the first in the series, I'm starting at one that is pretty far toward the "suck" end of the spectrum, Blackstack Brewing.

Blackstack has potential. To begin with, it's pretty accessible by bike. While Minnehaha and Prior aren't the nicest bike facilities, like most in St. Paul, they exist and neither road is terrible to bike on. Plus, you can access it from nice quiet neighborhood streets from the interior of Hamline-Midway. I guess technically you can get there via the "bike lanes" on Pierce Butler, if you like biking through debris while being passed by a steady stream of high speed cars and semis. Though I bike there at times, I'm assuming most people avoid those "lanes". But again, by St. Paul standards, probably a B for accessibility by bike.

Then there's the situation once you're there. You start in a pretty tight parking lot that's always crowded (good for them and Can Can Wonderland). Up until recently, they had no bike parking. This for a location with a brewery, mini-golf, coffee roaster, axe throwing, and tool library. So just on that aspect alone they probably should fail. The first time I went I complained about there being no parking to all three of the main businesses in the complex at the time (Can Can, Blackstack and True Stone). They seemed aware and sympathetic and even said I could bring my bike inside if needed. I was told the building owner was "looking into adding some". Which is always a bad sign. Building owners clearly almost never ask anyone who actually rides a bike what good bike parking should look like. Or seem incapable of finding any of the excellent resources available FOR FREE from Dero about bike parking. So I was sadly not surprised when some of the worst bike racks ever showed up. Now granted, they did *technically* add bike parking. And the times I've visited, it has been well used. But I will never park on it because it's almost completely insecure.



Above we have Blackstack's bike parking. The Marin is parked in about the most secure way possible, but I'm still guessing you could clip that bar curving up pretty easily. The next few bikes, not so secure.


Unless I missed it, this Trek is literally not even locked to the rack. So while someone couldn't ride it away, being locked to itself, you could easily throw it in a car and run. Really tough to secure it with that rack being so low.


Next, this bike could also easily be stolen. Granted, those aren't quick release, so it would take a little more work, but barely, and all this poor sucker would come back to would be a front wheel. Bummer.


The parking is also rather tough to access. While the bollards might actually help a bit and provide some protection from drivers parking their cars, they also make the overall space really tight and tough to maneuver, especially given the lack of overall space for the bike parking here.


And if all that isn't enough, you're also right next to the smokers' pole. So if someone is taking a smoke break while you arrive or leave (or recently finished and didn't put out their cigarette), you get to enjoy secondhand smoke with your bike parking - BONUS! But seriously, this is just another factor in making this some of the worst bike parking I've seen.


Given all this, it's not surprising that like myself, you often see that people have locked their bikes to the railings of the entrance. Given that people clearly want to bike here, Blackstack really needs to add capacity and up the quality. This goes for the entire complex, Can Can and True Stone aren't immune from these issues either. While the site earns a St. Paul B for access, it gets a solid D- for parking, simply because it does actually have some, and really should get an F. Though it's the closest brewery to my house, I pretty much avoid the place because I don't feel welcome as a person cycling there, which is really too bad as it's among the easier breweries to bike to in the city. 


No comments:

Post a Comment